Sunday, February 20, 2011

Teaching Tip of the Week--Listening

     Funny how after so many years of teaching, talking to a large group can seem to become second nature.  Because I teach so often, though, I realize that I do not have as many opportunities for listening and reflection as I would like.  Even as a teacher, however, I am learning that we still can stretch, learn, and grow! 

     I find myself enjoying the rare opportunities I have now to be a student.  It is in these opportunities to be the learner that I realize how beneficial it is to have a teacher that listens--really listens.  Teachers who can read the room, gauge learner interest and understanding, and who can uniquely address the individual needs of each learner...those are the ones who really seem to be the best at what they do. 

     Try listening, not just talking, as you go throughout this week.  I tell my children all the time that God gave us one mouth and two ears because we need to listen twice as much as we talk.  Maybe this is true for us as teachers as well...Hope you have a fantastic week!  Shannon :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment