Monday, February 11, 2013

Monday Moments with Mimi--Love Came Calling

Happy Valentine's Week to you all!  I cannot believe how quickly the calendar passes from December to February!  This week's Monday Moment with Mimi is all about love that seeks and saves...the love of Christ.  Read, enjoy, and share!  Have a great week!  Shannon :-)

“Love Came Calling”

Happy Valentine’s Day to all, and I hope lots of flowers, cards, and candy find their way to you this week!!! February 14th is the day to celebrate loved ones of every age, so remember to do your part!

Do you remember your “first” love? Or are you like me? That was so many, many years ago!!! I can fondly recall my neighborhood childhood friends, and even first “boy” friends that from that bygone era. We played ball, rode bikes, and climbed trees—real love and oh my, what romance!!! (Do kids even want to climb trees anymore? I do have a couple of magnolia trees that my grandchildren will still climb up and hide in sometimes.)

As a child, there was a sycamore tree on the edge of our triangular shaped yard that I would sit in unnoticed to watch the neighborhood kids coming home from school. I would patiently wait for my daddy to come home from work, looking out for him while perched atop a medium-high branch. Upon arriving home, Dad did not come looking for me, but he would whistle loudly, and I would scurry quickly down. I knew love had called, or rather whistled, for me to come home.

Those memories of climbing trees bring to mind the timeless children’s song about “Zacchaeus” based upon Luke 19. I have such sweet memories of singing that song with its precise hand motions and clearly articulated words. I especially enjoyed the part when the song converts into the strong words from Jesus commanding Zacchaeus, “You come down, for I am going to your house today!” I can see little children’s fingers pointing and shaking to the imaginary little man in the tree. I am not sure that scenario exactly occurred in scripture that way, but it did make for a special children’s song!!!

As I remember my own daddy’s whistling for me, I recall dearly how quickly I would scamper down from my not-so-high post. His whistle let me know HE wanted to see ME. All my life, I knew without a doubt, at the sound of his whistle, my father’s love was calling for me.

Christ summoned Zacchaeus down from his hidden lookout because he wanted him. Jesus did not just want to stay at Zacchaeus’ house that day; He wanted to reside in his heart that day. This Valentine’s Day, look carefully for someone to summon down that may be perched out of sight, and let them feel how special they are. They, like Zacchaeus, may be a wee little person just waiting for your call and needing your hug.

An important closing verse from the Bible story was not included in the children’s song. For me, this line is really all about love…and it’s a much more valuable love than a Valentine’s Day can bring. The last verse of the Bible story states, “For the Son of Man came to ‘seek’ and to save what was lost.” Real love came calling for Zacchaeus. Real love came seeking for him to come down that day.

So this Valentine’s week, purpose to “seek” someone out. They may be in the tree waiting for you to pass by, listening for your call, and needing to feel your touch. If Jesus has the heart of love to “seek” out a wee little man to save, we should do no less. Let’s not miss the opportunities on this “Day of Love” to exhibit the real meaning of love to those around us! Blessings, Mimi (AKA Anne)


Luke 19:1-10 
“Jesus entered Jericho and was passing through. A man was there by the name of Zacchaeus; he was a chief tax collector and was wealthy. He wanted to see who Jesus was, but because he was short he could not see over the crowd. So he ran ahead and climbed a sycamore-fig tree to see him, since Jesus was coming that way When Jesus reached the spot, he looked up and said to him, “Zacchaeus, come down immediately. I must stay at your house today.” So he came down at once and welcomed him gladly…… Jesus said to him, “Today salvation has come to this house, because this man, too, is a son of Abraham. For the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost.”


No comments:

Post a Comment