Saturday, October 20, 2012

Gifted Gab and the Classroom Corner--A Web Game for the Weekend

Hi!  Hope you are having a wonderful weekend!  Ours has been busy with birthday parties and errands, but I did squeeze in a nap this afternoon--YAY! :-) 
I was so tired after yesterday's all day field trip with my 4th graders to Cumberland Island.  Cumberland is a beautiful barrier island here in GA known for its history, its variety of ecosystems, and its beautiful feral horses.  We had a wonderful time and the weather was perfect, but I must admit that these teacher legs of mine were TIRED after walking, walking, and walking a bit more! :-)  Here are a few snapshots from our day.


I also wanted to take a moment this weekend to tell you about a website that I absolutely LOVE! 
   
Cool Math is one of our absolute classroom favorites!  These games are excellent for developing critical and strategic thinking.  In fact, this week we used the game Lemonade Stand (http://www.coolmath-games.com/lemonade/index.html) to accompany our ongoing 3rd grade economics unit (http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Creating-a-Classroom-Economy-Economics-Adv-Entrepreneurship). 

There are other great economics games there as well, including Coffee Shop.  I would definitely recommend checking it out with your little learners!  Shannon :-)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Shannon!
    I just found your blog and I am your newest follower. I live the Cool Math website also, but I had never thought of using it with economics. Thanks for the tip! I would love for you to visit my blog when you get a chance!
    Patti :)
    A Series of 3rd Grade Events

    ReplyDelete