Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Monday Moments with Mimi--To Be a Tightrope Walker

Hi!  So sorry this post is a day late.  Grrrr...ran into some technical difficulties last night.  :-)  Today's post contains great encouragement about believing that we CAN and that we WILL.  In Christ, all things are possible.  Read, enjoy, and share!  Love, Shannon :-)
To Be a Tight Rope Walker

There is an expression that says, “Kids say the darndest things.”  When I was a teenager, I can recall a television show by this title in which very young children were interviewed.  At the time, their sincere, impromptu answers would cause my mom to literally laugh out loud. 

Today, from conversing with my grandchildren to teaching little ones, I wholeheartedly agree; they DO say the darndest things.   But in many of these instances, children speak quite honestly about themselves. They are expressing an incredible belief in themselves with a determination that follows, a fact that bears notice.   

I called my youngest daughter the other day to tell her I was planning a visit to come and watch my grandson’s basketball game.  Her response was that Tuesday would be the perfect day!!!   It was “perfect” because that very same morning, her 3 year old was having a “Circus Day” activity at her school, and I could attend both the game and the "circus."  And that is truly a perfect day for me!!!  

It was only right that I talk to Catherine Anne about the circus.  After a somewhat broken phone conversation, I continued, rather excitedly saying “Catherine Anne, I am coming to your school for Circus Day.  I can’t wait!!!”  She responded just as excitedly, “I am going to be a tight-rope walker!!!”

I paused a second for just the proper response and could only say, “Oh, really!”   She then responded, “Uh huh!” with that confident tone in her small voice.  She did not explain or elaborate on her plan for accomplishing this act.  She merely stated her cause. 

She said, “I am going to BE a tight-rope walker.”  She expressed no concern for the height of the tight-rope or her ability to balance on it.  In truth, I am sure she will be only inches from a safe landing where no true balancing is required.  It will be something very safe and sure for a three year old's fun Circus Day adventure.  Nevertheless, what she expressed was the assured belief in what she was going to be and the determination to make it happen!

 See, she did not say that she was going to dress up like the Circus Character, but she was going to BE the character.  This is a refreshing reminder for us.  Sometimes in our life’s journey, it is easier to dress a part or play a part than to be that real person.  Often, it requires a strong belief that we CAN, and a determination that we WILL.

For us as we grow older, that first step off of the platform and onto the wire it is the hardest.  Haven’t you heard?  Don’t look down. Keep your eyes forward.   

But BELIEF is a powerful tool for all ages.  It enables us to accomplish much and brings us much joy.  

Believe in yourself, because you believe God enables you to walk, and walk with confidence.  With God, we also are only inches away from a safe landing.  Really, we never have to worry about falling at all!!!  And yes, like Catherine Anne, I also want to be a tight rope walker.  Blessings, Mimi (AKA Anne)
 
“For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all.”  2 Corinthians 4:18

1 comment:

  1. What an uplifting post to read at the end of a long day! We walk by faith, not by sight! :-) Lauren Teacher Mom of 3

    ReplyDelete