Monday, May 13, 2013

Monday Moments with Mimi--Ideas Born and Promises Kept

I hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day yesterday.  This week's note from Mimi is a bit of inspiration about plans made and appointments kept.  It is also a follow-up to a post from a few weeks back, so feel free to go back and view Mimi's Moment from April 15th.  Enjoy!  Thanks so much for stopping by!  Shannon :-)

Ideas Born and Promises Kept 

I don’t often have a two-part story or a continuation from a previous blog post, but the reminder I received in the events of this week spoke volumes to me, so I just had to share. 

A few weeks ago I shared about the times in our lives when we have to re-position ourselves or recalculate our thoughts for success. The title of that “Monday Moments with Mimi” was actually “Life Comes from Recalculating.” And boy, was that appropriate!!! I could have just entitled it “Life Comes from Reminders.” Let’s get started with a portion of that post, just to give you the back story… 

“The other night at our nursing home ministry, I was honored to be holding the song book for a precious elderly lady friend that is a stroke victim. She loves the singing and musical part of our service. She cannot see very well, nor can she hold anything with her partially paralyzed arm. Last month, she forgot her glasses, could not see well at all, and just hummed along with the piano playing. This month upon entering the room, she proudly held up her glasses with her good hand, as if to say to me, ‘This week I got it!!!’ Shortly into the song service, I realized that she still could not focus enough to read the words on the page. I was not sure if it was the lighting in the room or her failing eyes, but clearly she was doing all that she could to see, but seeing was not happening. We repositioned the book and adjusted her glasses, but to no avail. At the end of the service as I leaned over to hug her goodbye, she literally lit up with another idea. I could see it on her sweet face. She excitedly exclaimed, ‘I have a large magnifying glass that hangs around my neck. Do you think that we could try it next time?’ ‘Sure,’ I responded. I thought that next time, I would just intervene and fix the problem for her, so I said, ‘But next time, you tell me three of your favorite songs, and we will sing them – and you won’t have to hold the book or see the words at all!!!! I smiled as I left the room, because she definitely was trying. And with each try, she had come up with a different approach…” 

And then one month later… 

This same sweet lady was at church this Sunday with her family for Mother’s Day, and I went over to see her. And she once again brightened when she saw me. As I leaned into for a hug, she surprised me by stating, “I missed you Thursday night at the nursing home!” 

I explained that I had been called into work, and that I was sorry I was not there. With no hesitation in her gentle voice she said, “I remembered our talk so I hung my large magnifying glass on my neck for us, but you were not there.” 

I was a little surprised, but was absolutely sure someone else there would have gladly assisted her. So I inquired, “Did someone else take my place and help you?” She responded, “No, not really, I just thought this was what you wanted to do.” 

I felt honored, encouraged, and convicted all in that moment. She was an elderly mother, doing what mothers do best, having an idea and working her plan through to completion. 

 Birthing an idea and keeping a promise all the way through to fruition commands a different type of respect. And at this moment she had mine. 

An idea born with our children brings life to them for the moment. But it’s the promises kept in their lives that makes them responsible for a lifetime. Let’s affectionately, but pointedly, make a plan with our children. But more importantly, let’s keep the appointment. They may forget the path, but as mothers, we never should.  Blessings, Mimi (AKA Anne)

Ephesians 31:10 A wife of noble character who can find?
She is worth far more than rubies.

No comments:

Post a Comment