Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Maps and Globes, Oh My!

Hi, and Happy Wednesday!  How's it going for you in "Back to School" land?  We are rocking along pretty well!  2 weeks in and counting...we are officially on our way!  (And praise be, my feet didn't even hurt when I got home today LOL)
Our Social Studies year always starts with an introductory unit on "Understanding Maps and Globes."  This prepares students for what is to come in Social Studies throughout the rest of the year, as well as gives us an opportunity to dig right in to some fun and meaningful hands-on learning!

Many of you have messaged to ask me questions about my Maps and Globes unit, so I thought I would share some helpful info and insights into how you might make this work in your classroom.  Here are a few pictures and captions just to help tie it all together...



 This unit is broken into sections such as Assessments and Literature Connections, however it is not necessary to move through the unit in any exact order.  You may pick and choose what works best for your own learners.  For example, we always begin with making our "Passports for Travel" and reading from "Around the World in 80 Tales."  
You don't have to start here--it is just a great attention-grabbing starting point!  We visited "Canada" together by way of our SMARTboard, read the story of "The White Bear," and made bookmarks complete with strands of polar bear fur, AKA white yarn. 

In case you would like to see some of my other Social Studies materials, simply click the picture below to link to related items in my TPT store.  
I have discovered that there's nothing like world-wide travel to awaken the imaginations and dreams of our students!

As Jeanne Bendick says, "Questions are more important than answers...if I were a fairy godmother, my gift to every child would be curiosity!"




No comments:

Post a Comment