Friday, January 28, 2011

Parenting/Teaching Tip of the Week--Take Time to Fill Up

     Last Wednesday I found myself sitting right in the middle of a 4-lane highway with a fire truck, and police car, and a state patrol sitting behind me--lights flashing like fireworks.  What was the reason?  I ran out of gas.  Literally, nothing, nada, bone dry, no fuel!  With not even enough fumes left to pull into the median, I sat in the middle of the road with my 3 kids in the backseat, and we waited on a good samaritan to come along with a gas can.  As a 35 year old mother and educator, you would think I would know better, right?!

     What's the lesson here?  Well, clearly I was so busy and frantic rushing to get to my destination that I neglected to heed the warning signal flashing on my dash. 

     I think this has application for us on a larger scale.  Let's not forget to fill ourselves up as we go about our daily duties of parenting or teaching!  My mom reminds me often of the Scripture in Philippians 2:17, "My life is being poured out as a part of the sacrifice and service [I offer to God] for your faith. Yet, I am filled with joy, and I share that joy with all of you."  Pouring ourselves out in service to others is without a doubt a noble calling, but let's stop to refuel along the way!  Let's make sure that we have enough joy, peace, and love to pour out on others around us.  Have a great week!  Shannon :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment