Saturday, May 19, 2012

Times of Transition...

It is almost the end of the year--the time that brings a mix of sadness and jubilation to a teacher's heart!!!  So sad to see my kids go, but so thrilled to see summer come!

  This year also brings a bit of trepidation for me--I am moving classrooms.  Yes, I know that seems relatively silly to some, but my classroom is like my home away from home.  I have friends there, I have memories there, I have my "stuff" there.  I am moving to a new address in the school where the faces aren't quite as familiar...

Another glitch--cleaning out and moving forward.  Anyone else out there a teacher pack rat like me?  I realized Friday that I still had papers on my bookshelf that I left for my sub when I was out on maternity leave with my son Tate...Tate is now 8! ;-P  "But I might need those copies one day..."

I was feeling really bummed out about the additional work and stress of the move, but walking at Relay for Life last night really put things in perspective for me. 
I also heard these verses on the radio:  "If I could speak all the languages of earth and of angels, but didn’t love others, I would only be a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. If I had the gift of prophecy, and if I understood all of God’s secret plans and possessed all knowledge, and if I had such faith that I could move mountains, but didn’t love others, I would be nothing. If I gave everything I have to the poor and even sacrificed my body, I could boast about it; but if I didn’t love others, I would have gained nothing." 
1 Corinthians 13:1-3

So my goal this week...to step outside of myself; to love and encourage the others around me; to move outside of my own circumstance and see the big picture; to love others with my words and actions.  There are probably about 20 of us moving in our building.  What can I do to encourage and help them?  That is my personal challenge for the week to come.
Before...
After...
If it is any consolation to you, this is the mess that surrounds me now.  Look at this and think to yourself, "Wow, I am so much more organized than Shannon!"  I will keep you updated on the progress.  I am sure that in the midst of this mess lies an absolutely adorable room for next school year!  Hope this post encourages you if there are any transitions you are facing.  Sometimes I get so lost in the forest, I forget to see the trees!  Lots of love, Shannon :-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment