Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Gifted Gab and the Classroom Corner--Why do humans need eyebrows?

Why do humans need eyebrows?  This may seem like a funny question, but I think it might give you a window into why I love teaching my gifted elementary students so much!  Each morning we begin our day with a "Curiosity Question."  As you may have guessed, this week's question involved the purpose of eyebrows...

Every student must record at least one possible answer to the week's posed question.  Here is just a sampling of the creative answers I received this week:
  • Eyebrows help you stay balanced.
  • Eyebrows remind you what color your hair was in case you go bald.
  • Eyebrows give girls a place to put their make up.
  • Eyebrows keep your forehead warm.
Of course, the actual answer is that eyebrows protect the eyes from sweat and water.  Upon hearing this statement, one of my students replied, "Mrs. Bryant, then I need cheek brows, cause the rest of my face gets awfully sweaty too!"  I just love the creativity and eagerness to brainstorm that my students exhibit!  Try adding a curiosity question to your day!  Your kids will love it! 

1 comment:

  1. Hi , cute blog. Sweet family. I think we have a lot in common. I blog about my family and teaching. Come on by and see me sometime.
    Vicky I'm your newest follower.
    Traditions Laughter and Happily Ever After

    ReplyDelete