Monday, July 28, 2014

Book Talk Linky...Road Trip, Round Trip!

I am busy finishing up my Making Sense of Maps and Globes unit which I hope will be available in just a few days in my TpT store!  In the spirit of this upcoming, new goodie, I wanted to share with you one of my favorite travel books...Round Trip by Ann Jonas.  
http://www.amazon.com/Round-Trip-Ann-Jonas/dp/0688099866/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=&qid=
While the story certainly keeps students engaged, it is not the story that I love the most...it's the illustrations.  The illustrations--done completely in black and white--completely transform when the book is turned upside down...when the reader takes a "round trip!"  


This book is a favorite to supplement studies of art, geography, transportation, antonyms, etc.  I love the resulting artwork that it always inspires my students to create, the critical and creative thinking it encourages, and the surprised gasps I get as I turn the story from top to bottom...amazing!  Happy reading!  Shannon :-)

PS--See even more great books by viewing the entire linky at http://mrsjumpsclass.blogspot.com/2014/07/the-very-ugly-bug-book-talk-tuesday.html.  

4 comments:

  1. So happy to learn of this book! Love the idea of the hidden pictures! Thanks for sharing!
    Kidpeople Classroom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure!!! Hope you enjoy as much as we did!!! :-) Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shannon, I just found your blog today through Mrs. Jump's Book Talk. I also just ordered the book that you introduced to us. It sounds wonderful, and I don't own anything like it! Did you know that Ann Jonas (the author/illustrator) is Donald Crews' wife? We did a book study about him last year as part of Writing Fundamentals.

    Thank you so much, and I'm really glad I found you! :)

    Sharon Dudley, NBCT
    Teaching with Sight

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so neat--I did not know that she was married to Donald Crews!!! Thanks so much for sharing and thanks for stopping by!!! Shannon :-)

    ReplyDelete