Monday, April 9, 2012

Gifted Gab and the Classroom Corner--More 7 Wonders Fun!

Shannon Lyles Bryant   
Hi!  I hope you had a wonderful Easter!  These are a few pictures of my little ones on Easter Sunday.  I sure do love these Bryant kiddoes and am so thankful for the time we were able to spend as a family over this past week.

Today was our first day back at school after Spring Break, and all in all, it was a great Monday!  Sure, waking up was definitely tough this morning, but my students and I had a blast continuing our 7 Wonders of the Ancient World study in class.  Today's Wonder was the marble monument built for Mausolus in Halicarnassus, Turkey.  Perhaps one of the most intriguing things about this Wonder was that each of the 4 sides of this monument was carved by a different Greek sculptor.
In order to make class models of this monument, each student "carved" 4 foam cups with paper clips and thumb tacks.  Then, I hot glued these onto a paper plate, which served as a roof of the structure.  The Mausoleum of Halicarnassus was carved to honor Mausolus, however my students designed their monuments to tell about their own lives.  Carvings included pictures of family, favorite vacations, and even Justin Beiber. ;-) 
 
On top of Mausolus' monument, there were statues of 4 horse-driven chariots.  I asked my students to draw 4 items on their "roofs" to also represent them.  For example, I drew 4 flowers on mine in order to represent my love of Spring!  Brook drew 4 pictures of her puppy that she loves!
 
We charted the information we learned in class, and students recorded their observations in their 7 Wonders Learning Logs.
 
We also played a round of Halicarnassus Battleship, conducted "marble" science experiments, and illustrated pages for our 7 Wonders Learning Logs.  For even more great ideas and classroom projects, simply click the link below to navigate to my complete 7 Wonders unit.

Also, from now until Thursday, there will be several April/May items on sale at my TpT store.  They are listed here for your convenience.  Have a wonderful week!  Shannon :-)






No comments:

Post a Comment