Sunday, January 25, 2015

Excellence v/s Perfection

A dear friend shared with me this weekend about a book she had been reading.  The more she talked, the more intrigued I became...and then the more convicted I felt...

The truth of the ideas she shared pricked at this mama/teacher heart, because they reflected something that I often lose sight of.  

The idea is pretty revolutionary, so buckle your seatbelt...
We should be looking for excellence from our children, NOT perfection!

WOW!  In an instant I realized that WAY too many times I expect perfection...perfection that is impossible to attain, that leaves them and me feeling frustrated, and this frustration creates an environment of criticism and negativity.

Here are just a few takeaways from our conversation that I hope encourage you as much as they did me...
1) Love is patient--Am I patient with my child who is so different from me?
2) Love does not envy--Do I ever wish my child was more like someone else's son or daughter?
3) Love is not proud--Am I hesitant to share how I'm really doing or how my child is really doing out of a fear of what people will think?
4) Love perseveres--Do I keep my mind on future possibilities rather than focusing on the difficulties and challenges I'm dealing with today?
In case you are also interested in reading more, the name of the book she shared with me is No More Perfect Kids by Jill Savage.  You can find it here on Amazon...http://www.amazon.com/No-More-Perfect-Kids-Love/dp/0802411525.  Hope you find this book to be a blessing!  

Here's to a week filled with more grace and less over-reacting!  Shannon 


No comments:

Post a Comment