Saturday, July 19, 2014

New Things, Old Fears...

We are fresh off of a quick weekend trip to coastal GA.  A sweet niece was celebrating her 5th birthday, so we made the most of our time together by squeezing in some kayaking Friday evening.  My boys have been kayaking several times, but for our little girl...this was her first time, and she was sooooooo excited!  

She started off by riding as a passenger on board with her big brothers.  Sure that space is meant for a cooler or fishing gear, but she thought it was the perfect place to catch a ride!   

After awhile, however, just riding wasn't enough!  She wanted a bit of independence...to tackle kayaking on her own!  And let me say, we were so proud of her!!!  She paddled like a rock star, completely unafraid of the outgoing tide, the pull of the current, the fish jumping all around her, and the fact that she was in a kayak in the marsh ALL BY HERSELF!!!

While watching her relish in the joy of new discovery and the thrill of accomplishment, I had a few quiet moments on the dock to watch and consider...I wish I approached new challenges with the same enthusiasm and determination that she did!  Sometimes, though, I instead feel fear, anxiety, or even discouragement when a new challenge or unplanned experience comes along.

In truth, this past year has been a year FULL of changes for our family!  A new job, a new school for all 3 children, a new church for our family...ALL of these new experiences.   But I am learning to be thankful for the NEW--to be open to new possibilities, new friendships, new challenges, and new blessings that may be waiting behind new doors of opportunity!  

Tonight I felt led to share in case you also find yourself at a new crossroads.  Be encouraged!  That is the lesson I have learned from the past year, and that is the lesson I was reminded of by my daughter, the fearless kayaker!  Choosing joy, Shannon <3

Behold, I am doing a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert. Isaiah 43:19

Do not despise these small beginnings, for the LORD rejoices to see the work begin...Zechariah 4:10

No comments:

Post a Comment