Monday, December 3, 2012

Monday Moments with Mimi--Take the Name

Hi, and Happy December!  This weekend my family and I attended our local Christmas parade, and we had a blast!  My son marched with the boy scouts, and we saw tons of familiar faces.  Hope you enjoy this week's blog post from Mimi and that you are enjoying a very Merry Christmas season so far!  Shannon :-)
Take the Name
What better way to introduce the Christmas Season than with a Saturday Christmas parade!  It came complete with decorated floats, marching bands, shouts of Merry Christmas, and live entertainment.  The weather was even pleasant for the occasion, and I so enjoyed the shouts of “Merry Christmas!” as parade participants marched by!  I leaned over to my daughter and said, “No Happy Holidays, just Merry Christmas and that makes me so happy! 
 
Isn’t it funny that I was so eager to hear those 2 little words?  Immediately my little 5 year old granddaughter raised her voice to let me know that she could make me happy as well, and shouted, ”Merry Christmas!” That’s my girl!!!
 
When I got home that night, I reflected on the events of my day.  I really do like the wording “Happy Holidays”—I just don’t like that in many places these words have completely replaced “Merry Christmas!”  But what I find somewhat amusing is the idea that something could be minimized by merely altering its name.  Isn’t it Shakespeare that penned, “A rose by any other name would still smell as sweet?”   That just happens to be a quote that my dad often used in order to let me know that the story I was telling was not exactly the truth…no matter how many ways I presented it.   Changing a name doesn’t change anything, or does it????
 
          It’s funny because over the past several years, my name has changed.  I have dropped my given middle name and have used my maiden name in its place.  I am proud of the family and the life that I was a part of before I took on my married name.  I learned love, respect and truth from my Hill family.  So I have proudly assumed the name from the bloodline of my parents as my middle name.  Whether the family name is reflected or omitted within mine, it doesn’t change the person I am.  It truly was just an act of respect to my parents as a legacy for future generations.  It gives me the satisfaction of knowing that I have respectfully honored a Mom and Dad that formed and raised me with their name now in mine. 
 
I hope that we always say, “Merry Christmas!”  I want our children to hear and know that Christ is what this season is for.  It is not about him, it is for him.  It is to respectfully honor his birth in every way. From greenery to gifting, from lighting to laughing, from shouts of Merry Christmas to shouts of even yes… Happy Holidays, it is to honor Him.  You can’t take the blood line of my parents away from me by a mere name change any more than you can truly take Christ out of Christmas.   
 
This season, I am challenged even more to bring respect and honor to Christ in all ways and with all people.  In church this week, we sang an old hymn.  Take the Name of Jesus With YouThe chorus goes on to say Precious name, oh how sweet, Hope of Earth and Joy of Heaven…… Precious name, oh how sweet,……….  Take it then, wherever you go.   
 
I was reminded that we need to take the name of Jesus with us throughout this Season.  Take it and not just say it.   Tell the people in your sphere of influence that He is the Hope of Earth and Joy of Heaven.  Maintaining my parents’ name reminds me to be grateful of what I have become and who I came from.  Do the same with the name of Christ this season.  He truly is the Hope of Earth!  He is the Joy of Heaven and worthy to be remembered. 
 
This is the time we honor the Savior’s Birth.  Whether someone tells you “Merry Christmas” or “Happy Holidays,” be grateful for an opportunity to show your love and respect for His name which you now claim.  What is my response when someone wishes me well during this season?  I do the same; I am never afraid to wish them a Merry Christmas.  There are always little ears who are listening.  I want my grandchildren to smile and say, “That’s my Mimi!” and I hope that one day they will share a Merry Christmas with those around them as well!!!  Blessings, Anne (AKA Mimi)
 
Isaiah 9:6, "For a child is born to us, a son is given to us.  The government will rest on his shoulders.  And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace."
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment